Optimize your Immune System
The best way to fight Corona Covid-19 is to optimize your IMMUNE SYSTEM
This may be done by following a well-balanced diet rich in antioxidants and vitamins which provide the body with the nutrients it needs to stay healthy, promoting a healthy gut as well stabilizing blood sugar levels.
Try to reduce foods which challenge the immune systems including those of low nutrient value (junk food) high in sugar and stimulants such as coffee, alcohol, chocolate and tobacco.
There is a lot we may do nutritionally to boost the immune system a well-balanced diet is recommended to provide the body with the nutrients it needs to repair.
- I recommend a whole food diet which supplies whole grains, lots of fresh vegetables, especially green leafy and brightly coloured vegetables and some fruit, healthy fats in the form of oily fish, seeds, nuts and good vegetable oils such as olive oil, together with good quality proteins such as fish, meat, eggs, dairy and pulses. Try to eat a diversity of foods every day
- Top 10 vegetables for immune system: asparagus, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, garlic (raw is best) mushrooms especially shitake, Brussel sprouts, onions, pumpkin, peppers which have high levels of antioxidants. Also, tomatoes, onions, leeks, sweet potatoes, peaches, apricots, berries, apples pears as well as a few dried apricots, peas, sweet potatoes and fruit, avocados, carrots, spinach.
- Pulses such as seeds and grains are packed with immune supportive nutrients. Vegetable juices and fruit smoothies (low sugar) may provide antioxidant support.
- Try to take some daily exercise
- Take measures to reduce stress, stress can have a big impact on the immune system, maybe have a massage, try some yoga, meditation, mindfulness, see a trained therapist.
- Keep hydrated – 8 glasses a day is a practical measure. Try not to drink at meal times as this may dilute your gastric juices and hinder digestion but rather at least 30 minutes before or after meals.
- Drink alcohol only in moderation.
- Try to get adequate sleep, 7-9 hours a night is optimal.
Photo by Anna Pelzer on Unsplash